Jerusalem Report: 1400 Year Old Ring Found Depicting The Holy Sepulchre -- By: Anonymous
BSP 4:2-3 (Spring—Summer 1975) p. 78
1400 Year Old Ring Found Depicting The Holy Sepulchre
In November of 1974 Israeli archaeologist Benjamin Mazar found a gold ring made 500 years after the death of Christ which depicts the site of the Holy Sepulchre. It was unearthed in the ruins of a sixth-century building in excavations south of the Temple Mount. The ring is made of gold and has a domed building fashioned on it which apparently depicts the building that was over the traditional tomb of Christ 1400 years ago.
Professor Mazar, of the Hebrew University, reports that the find was on the second floor of a sixth-century Byzantine (Eastern Roman Empire) building. Bronze vessels, golden pendants and a bead of white gold were found nearby.
The Holy Sepulchre is now under the Crusader-built Church of the Holy Sepulchre in Jerusalem. The site has been venerated by Christians for centuries as the location of the burial place of Christ. (For more information on the Holy Sepulchre see the Spring 1974 issue of Bible and Spade, pp. 33ff. and 45ff.)
(Jerusalem Post Weekly, December 24, 1974.)
BSP 4:2-3 (Spring—Summer 1975) p. 79
BSP 4:2-3 (Spring—Summer 1975) p. 80
Click here to subscribe