Translation Of The Prophecy Of Nahum With Notes -- By: B. B. Edwards
Translation Of The Prophecy Of Nahum With
Fresh interest has been given to this Prophecy of late by the excavations that have been made, or which are now making, on or near the site of ancient Nineveh. The late Mr. Rich, British resident at Bagdad, and son-in-law of Sir James Mackintosh, was the first who awakened a deep interest in the ruins which line the banks of the Tigris near Mosul. His excavations were, however, confined to a limited space, directly opposite Mosul, and his discoveries, compared with the more recent, are not of special importance. Within a few years, M. Botta, son of the distinguished Italian historian, a gentleman of learning and of great enterprise, has made extensive researches at the village of Khorsabad, on the great plain, about twelve miles
BSac 5:19 (Aug 1848) p.552
N. E. of Mosul. He had at first little to encourage him except his own individual zeal and patience. At length, however, the French government lent their efficient patronage, and sent M. Flandin, an accomplished artist, who took exact copies of the more important sculptures and paintings which had been brought to light. In the meantime, Mr. Layard, an Englishman, labored with great enthusiasm and success at a point on the east bank of the Tigris, about twenty miles below Mosul, called Nimrood. Mr. Layard has lately spent a number of months in London, bringing a port-folio of 279 drawings. The sculptures which he collected are deposited in the British Museum. While in Paris he showed his drawings to M. Felix Lajard, and the collection was compared with that of M. Botta. M. Lajard maintains that the Nimrood bas-reliefs are older by several centuries than those at Khorsabad, and that from their resemblance to Fersepolitan symbols, they belong to the worship of Mithra, i.e. As-tarte or Mylitta. A volume, containing the results of Mr. Layard’s discoveries, is now in the press in London, while the author is on his return to the scene of his labors. The date of the ruins is still a mystery. As a proof of their extreme antiquity, it is stated that the earliest buildings in Nimrood were buried, and that the earth which had accumulated over them, was used as a cemetery 700 B. C. Mr. Layard conjectured that the buildings dated from 1200 B. C. The rooms were lined with slabs of marble, covered with bas-reliefs. The door-ways were flanked by winged figures of greater height than the slabs; on all these figures was the mark of blood, as if thrown against them and allowed to trickle down. The walls were of sun-dried bricks, and where they rose above the sculptured slabs, they were covered with paintings. The beams, where they remained, were of mulberry. The buildings were provided with a complete system of sewerage, each room having had a drain connected with a main sewer. Among the ruins, a small c...
Click here to subscribe