A Short History Of The Missionary Society At Hermannsburg, North Germany -- By: G. Haccius
BSac 45:179 (July 1888) p. 407
A Short History Of The Missionary Society At Hermannsburg, North Germany
Translated by Professor Charles Harris’, Ph. D., Carbondale, Illinois.
[Concluded From Page 296.]
The Hermannsburg Society began a mission in Australia in 1866 at the wish of the Lutheran Church there. A station was erected on Lake Killalpeninna; but the work among that stupid people, who are given up to lust and even to cannibalism, seemed from the beginning tolerably hopeless to the missionaries, Homann and Gossling. The latter had to return to Adelaide on account of a severe sickness. One of them wrote: “Even if the Australian mission accomplishes nothing more than to hold Christian burial services for this poor people, it will have accomplished much. Our work and our joy must consist in redoubling our efforts to make the way to heaven easier for some poor dying one. After they had remained for a short time in Adelaide, in order to escape a conspiracy against their lives, Homann returned with a larger company; but after industrious and zealous labor, he was nevertheless compelled to give up the station on account of lack of water in times of great drought. And as meanwhile a division had arisen in the Lutheran Church of Australia, and the Synod of Immanuel, which was inclined towards union,1 wished to take charge of the station, it was lost to the Hermannsburg Society. The Synod of
BSac 45:179 (July 1888) p. 408
Australia, which was Lutheran in sentiment, asked the government at this time for land on Finke River for the mission which they were to begin, and received a large tract there for the Hermannsburg mission. Homann and Gössling had meanwhile become pastors of Lutheran parishes. The newly sent missionaries, Schwarz and Kempe, were to take charge of the mission. On October 21, 1875, they began their journey thither under the guidance of Pastor Heidenreich, who had been made provost, and who had likewise been trained at Hermannsburg. They did not arrive at their destination until June 4, 1877, and then only with the greatest difficulty. As they would be entirely dependent upon themselves in the interior of Australia, they were obliged to take with them cattle and all that they needed. This greatly hindered their progress. But they were nevertheless rewarded for all their toils by the excellence of the place. Now they had before them the difficult task of founding a station in the wilderness. Up to that time no missionary undertaking had succeeded in Australia. Therefore it seemed advisable for the brethren to lay out and cultivate the station in such a way that it might have an assured future. They succeeded, and called the station Hermannsbu...
Click here to subscribe