Alvah Hovey, D.D., LL.D. -- By: John M. English
BSac 56:223 (July 1899) p. 579
Alvah Hovey, D.D., LL.D.
Dr. Hovey was born in Greene, Chenango County, New York, March 5, 1820. In the same year his parents removed to Thetford, Vermont, where he attended the public schools until he was fifteen years of age. He was a student in Thetford Academy parts of two years, and then went to the Academy in Brandon, Vermont, where he prepared for college. He entered Dartmouth College in 1839. At the close of his sophomore year he became the principal of the Academy at Derby, Vermont, which position he occupied two years. Upon returning to college, he joined the Senior class, making up the studies of the Junior year, and was graduated in 1844. After graduation from college he was the principal of the Academy in New London, New Hampshire, a little more than a year. He entered the Newton Theological Institution in 1845, and was graduated in 1848. Here he studied under Henry J. Ripley, Barnas Sears, and Horatio B. Hackett. He was acting pastor of the Baptist Church in New Gloucester, Maine, one year (1848–49). In 1849 he returned to the Seminary at Newton as a teacher, where he has remained ever since. He was ordained to the Christian ministry in the Baldwin Place Baptist Church, Boston, January 13, 1850.
Dr. Hovey has taught in nearly every department in the Institution. From 1849 to 1854 he was assistant instructor in Hebrew, and Librarian. He was acting professor of Biblical Literature and Interpretation, 1851–52, also 1858–59. He was professor of Church History two years (1853–55). He began teaching Theology in 1854, but his professorship in that department dates from 1855. Since 1870 his professorship has been that of Theology and Christian Ethics. He was acting professor of Biblical Interpretation, New Testament, 1892–94. He was elected President of the Institution in 1868, and held the office until his resignation in 1898,— a period of thirty years. Since that time he has been Acting President, and continues in his professorship of Theology.
Dr. Hovey was married September 24, 1852, to Miss Augusta Maria, daughter of Mr. Marshall Spring and Mary (Livermore) Rice. Five children have been born to them, four of whom are still living.
He received the honorary degree of Doctor of Divinity from Brown University in 1856, and that of Doctor of Laws from Richmond College and Denison University in 1876.
BSac 56:223 (July 1899) p. 580
In 1861–62, he was in Europe, studying in the universities of Berlin, Göttingen, and Heidelberg. In 1897 he visited Egypt, Palestine, Syria, Constantinople, Athens, England, and Scotland.
Dr. Hovey has held numerous positions outside of the Seminary. For many years he has been a Fellow of the Corporation ...
Click here to subscribe