George Frederick Wright -- By: Anonymous

Journal: Bibliotheca Sacra
Volume: BSAC 078:311 (Jul 1921)
Article: George Frederick Wright
Author: Anonymous


George Frederick Wright

Professor G. Frederick Wright, D.D., LL.D., F.G.S.A., who since 1884 has edited the Bibliothbca Sacra, died April 20, and funeral services in his honor were held on the 23d in the church where he had been for nearly forty years a constant attendant. As editor he succeeded Dr. Edwards A. Park of Andover, Massachusetts, who embodied in the Quarterly the highest scholarship of the times and made it the organ for a sane defense of the faith and a reasonable interpretation of the Bible. The reputation which was thus established Dr. Wright has maintained so that the Quarterly is indispensable in the leading libraries of America and Europe, and has attracted to it able scholars both at home and abroad. Dr. Wright, however, had interests that extended to other fields than that of theology — scientific and artistic interests — and these were touched upon in the three addresses at the funeral. Thinking that our readers would be interested in these we are publishing them in full, together with an outline of his theological position, written specially for this number, and with tributes from some of his intimate friends. Lack of space precludes the use of but a small number of the many which have been received.

Biographical Sketch

I. The external record of Professor Wright’s life may be briefly recounted.

He was born January 22, 1838, and hence died in his eighty-fourth year. His birthplace was the little village of Whitehall, New York, at the head of Lake Champlain. His early education was in country schools and a neighboring academy. He came to Oberlin in 1855, graduating

from the College in 1859, and from the Theological Seminary in 1862. Brown University later gave him the honorary degree of Doctor of Divinity, and Drury College that of Doctor of Laws.

At the outbreak of the Civil War he was one of the first to enlist in Company C, the first Oberlin Company to be formed, and entered the service of the army, but ion account of severe illness due to long exposure, was given sick-leave furlough after five months.

His first pastorate, often years, was in a country parish at Bakersfield, Vermont, where he laid the foundations for his steady growth by sacredly devoting his mornings to study. His second pastorate, also of nearly ten years, was at the Free Church at Andover, Massachusetts, where he continued with great success his glacial studies.

He was assistant in the Pennsylvania Geological Survey of 1881–82, and in the United States Survey of 1884–02.

He was Corresponding Member from the Alumni on the Board of Trustees of the College for three years (1870...

You must have a subscription and be logged in to read the entire article.
Click here to subscribe
visitor : : uid: ()