Excavations At Kirjath Sepher By Xenia Theological Seminary In Co-Operation With The American School Of Oriental Research At Jerusalem 1926 -- By: Melvin Grove Kyle

Journal: Bibliotheca Sacra
Volume: BSAC 083:332 (Oct 1926)
Article: Excavations At Kirjath Sepher By Xenia Theological Seminary In Co-Operation With The American School Of Oriental Research At Jerusalem 1926
Author: Melvin Grove Kyle


Excavations At Kirjath Sepher By Xenia Theological Seminary In Co-Operation With The American School Of Oriental Research At Jerusalem
1926

Melvin Grove Kyle

It is a peculiar pleasure to lay before the readers of BIBLIOTHECA Sacra an account of the interesting work of excavation at Kirjath Sepher. It is only less pleasure-able to tell the story of such work than to do the work itself.

The staff, though not a large one, was gathered from the ends of the earth. I myself sailed from New York on the Mauretania, February 16, and arrived at Haifa, March 7. Professor John E. Wishart, of San Francisco Theological Seminary, sailed from San Francisco a little earlier and arrived in Palestine a little later and continued in the work a part of the time. Professor James L. Kelso of Xenia Theological Seminary sailed from New York March 25 and reached Palestine, April 22, and continued in the work to the end. Dr. William F. Albright, Director of the American School of Oriental Research at Jerusalem, like myself, was engaged in the work of excavation during the whole course of the work. Professor F. M. Th. Böhl of the University of Groennegen, Holland, a member of Professor Sellin’s staff at Shechem, joined the staff at Kirjath Sepher for the last three weeks of the work, during a closed period of the work at Shechem. In addition we had the inspection and expert advice of that prince of Palestinian scholars, Pére Vincent, of Ecole St. Etienne, Jerusalem and the superintendence of Professor Clarence Fisher, official superintendent of all work done under the American Institute of Archaeology, and also the advice of Dr. Garstang, Director of the Department of Antiquities of Palestine. There were with us

also, as assistants in the work, two candidates for the Masters Degree in Xenia Theological Seminary, the Reverend James Lee and the Reverend A. W. Webster. As in the explorations at Sodom and Gomorrah in 1924, the President of the staff was the President of Xenia Theological Seminary and the Director of field operations was Dr. W. F. Albright, of the Jerusalem School of Oriental Research.

The excavations were conducted in the most economical way consistent with health and safety. We were careful to have good food and excellent water and comfortable beds, but we lived in tents and, for the most part, waited on ourselves, having only the assistance of a cook and an Arabic foreman. We were most fortunate in having a most healthful location, pure air and water and practically no mosquitos; but had plenty of dust, the usual limitless Palestinian assortment of insects to bite us and bite one another “ad infinitum.”

The fellahin of the community were most ...

You must have a subscription and be logged in to read the entire article.
Click here to subscribe
visitor : : uid: ()